Monthly Archives: January 2014

Castle Rushen In Castletown.

This castle is one of the most complete castles in the British Isles. The lower keep is the oldest part, being built about 1250 by Magnus the last Viking ruler. In 1313 the castle was taken by Robert Bruce. In 1343-45 the castle was enlarged by William de Montecute and again by others at the end of the 16th century. The keep stands at 74 feet tall and the four towers, one on each side, vary in height from between 70-80 feet and the walls vary in thickness of 7-12 feet. The clock is in the south tower and is thought to have been presented by Queen Elizabeth 1 in 1597 when she held the Island. The castle was used for many years as the seat of government and it had always been used to hold prisoners until 1816 when it was converted into the Islands main jail until 1891. The castle stood unused for many years until was restored by Lord Raglan when he was Governor from 1902 t0 1919 then in 1929 King George V presented the castle to the Manx nation and today is looked after by the Manx National Heritage. Visitors to the Castle can indulge in its history and hear from some of its inhabitants, including Bishop Wilson who you will find in his cell and the castle guards in their vaulted rooms. You’ll also be able to dine with the Kings and Lords of Mann in the great banqueting hall, experience the sights and sounds of a Medieval kitchen and visit the gatehouse. Each year throughout the summer season there are special open days held at the castle where cannons are fired and special displays are held inside the castle. To the side of the main entrance there is Castle Rushen registry office which is very popular for weddings.

Click on image below for a larger view.

Castle-Rushen-© www.iomphotography.com

Jurby Church

Jurby Church, also known as St Patricks Church, was first built in about 1213 and was a very simple church. In 1829 the present church was built using material from the previous old building and its attractive interior today is due to the work of Deemster Farrant. Most of his predecessors are buried in the churchyard. During the second world war the church was adopted by R.A.F. Jurby which presented the east window overlooking the airfield. Inside the church is an R.A.F. ensign dedicated by the Island’s Bishop in 1979 in memory of all who served at the station and outside in the graveyard there are a number of war graves, for British, Commonwealth and Polish servicemen. They died mostly from aircraft training accidents. This church is such a pretty church and sits on the headland at the coast and has lovely views South to Peel and inland across the rural North of the Island, towards the hills.

Click on image below for a larger view.

Jurby-Church-© www.iomphotography.com

 

 

Ravens at Ballafayle (3 images)

These two scultured bronze ravens are sat on rocks on the side of a hill above Ballafayle. They are dedicated to well known politician and speaker for the House of Keys Sir Charles Kerruish  who sadly passed away in August 2003. Its such a beautiful, peaceful place with stunning views especially on a lovely, sunny day like today.

Click on images below for a larger view.

Ravens at Ballafayle-© www.iomphotography.com Ravens at Ballafayle-© www.iomphotography.com Ravens at Ballafayle-© www.iomphotography.com

 

Flooding in Ramsey.

On Friday 3rd of January the Island experienced extreme high tides which coincided with low pressure and also high winds which caused Island wide flooding. The main shopping street in Ramsey was under water and the shops suffered severe flooding. It was hard to see where the harbour ended and the road started as at high tide it all became one big harbour. It was very surreal and I have never experienced anything like it before.

Click on the images below for a larger view.

Ramey-Flood © www.iomphotography.com

 

 

 

 

 

Ramey-Flood © www.iomphotography.com

 

 

A Very Friendly Sheep.

Walking up to Maughold Lighthouse from Maughold Church, we passed a field with this really friendly sheep. He was so friendly that it was difficult to take a picture due to him trying to put his head up to the camera.

Click on image below for a larger view.

Sheep © www.iomphotography.com

Malew Church Organ Pipes

A different view of the metal pipes on the church organ. This organ dates from 1907 and was built by Moses Morgan of Douglas and replaces the smaller Hewitt organ which was moved to St Mark’s church.

Click on image below for a larger view.

Organ-Pipes © www.iomphotography.com

Malew Church

Malew Church also known as Kirk Malew, is dedicated to the Celtic Saint Lua or Leoc who was later overshadowed by Saint Lupus, Bishop of Troyes. This church is also famous for the Vampires Grave.

Click on image below for a larger view.

Malew Church © www.iomphotography.com

 

Lobster Boat.

Captured this image on a quiet, calm Sunday morning of a lobster boat owner checking his catch and then putting out morelobster pots.

Click on image below for a larger view.

Lobster-Boat© www.iomphotography.com

 

Ballaugh Old Church.

This lovely old church is St Mary de Ballaugh and is situated at the Cronk in Ballaugh on the site of an ancient keeill.
The old church was lengthened in 1717  and within the church is an 11th century runic cross, the only one found in the parish. The entrance is renowned for its leaning gate pillars. In 1832 a new church was built 1 mile away and the old church was abandoned because of its bad state of repair. These days, even though the new church is the official parish church, this quaint old church has been restored and is again used regularly for divine worship.

Click on image below for a larger view.

Ballaugh-Old-Church© www.iomphotography.com

Abandoned.

When out taking photos of an old derelict farmhouse up in the hills round Sulby, we came across this very small, abandoned lamb. Luckily we managed to track down the farmer and he came and collected the lamb and he said that it was deffinately abandoned and would have died if we hadn’t have found it and let him know. It was so cute.

Click on image for a larger view.

 

Test