Ballaugh Old Church.

This lovely old church is St Mary de Ballaugh and is situated at the Cronk in Ballaugh on the site of an ancient keeill.
The old church was lengthened in 1717  and within the church is an 11th century runic cross, the only one found in the parish. The entrance is renowned for its leaning gate pillars. In 1832 a new church was built 1 mile away and the old church was abandoned because of its bad state of repair. These days, even though the new church is the official parish church, this quaint old church has been restored and is again used regularly for divine worship.

Click on image below for a larger view.

Ballaugh-Old-Church© www.iomphotography.com

Leave a Comment