Author Archives: Nicks_Piccies - Page 5

Sunny Day in Derbyhaven.

Today was such a beautiful day, it was like spring, calm and sunny, too nice to miss by staying in so we went for a walk at Derbyhaven from the Flying Club, round the back of the airport and back to the car.
Took these images with my Nikon D40 using a Nikon 18-55mm lens.

Click on the images for a larger view.

 

Port St Mary Breakwater.

Took this image whilst waiting for the New Years Day dippers, of all the lobster pots and other fishing boat equipment sorted, lined up and ready to go on next fishing trip. This is a regular sight in the fishing ports on the Island, whether it be scallops being landed in Peel and Port St Mary or the lobster boats coming in.

Lobster Pots Port St Mary Breakwater - © www.iomphotography.com

New Years Day Dips 2012

On New Years Day it is traditional to go for a dip in the sea to raise money for a variety of charities. The dips take place all over the Island but the images below are from Chapel Beach in Port St Mary (images 1-3) and Port St Mary inner harbour (images 4-6). Chapel Beach dip was at about 12.45 and the Port St Mary one was around 13.30. The day started of nice and sunny but very cold and as we went to the Port St Mary dip the weather had turned cloudy and was freezing, we were cold just watching them.
Well done to all those brave people who took part 😉

Click on images below for a larger view.

Ted Having A Mud Bath.

As it was a lovely day, we went for a walk round Stoney Mountain Plantation. We walked around the whole perimeter of the plantation, part of it was along a main road which wasnt good with Ted and there was no footpath and Ted is scared of traffic, amongst other things.
When we got into the second part of the plantation, off the main road, it started to get really boggy and muddy. At one point I had to pick Ted up and carry him because it was mainly gorse and that was not nice for ted to walk through. I put him down once clear of gorse and he went running of and found the biggest, muddy puddle and went straight into it, he was filthy and didnt smell to pleasant after either. Got him out, got back to the car, rubbed him down as much as possible and then once home put him in the bath with his doggy bubble bath, he really enjoys as nice warm bath after a long muddy walk. 🙂

Langness Lighthouse.

Langness Lighthouse, all 63 feet of it, and cottages were bought by Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson and his wife in 2005 to use as a holiday home. The area surrounding the lighthouse is vast, 30 acres, and is a public right of way with plenty of walking which takes you round the surrounding rocks and up onto penninsula. The area which goes round behind the lighthouse has been the subject of a well publicised legal wrangle.
The name Langness means Long Point and after much debate as to whether a lighthouse was needed at langness, Trinity House fineally agreed for the go ahead of a lighthouse, engine house for a fog signal and dwelling cottages to house 3 keepers. Mr Matheson was appointed inspector of works on 18th June 1879. The lighthouse tower was completed ahead of schedule and the light was first exhibited on Wednesday, December 1880. Many changes have occurred since then. The fog signal was discontinued in 1987 and the lighthouse was automated in 1996.

Click on images below for a larger view.

Sunny Day out in Port Erin

You would not believe that these images were taken at the beginning of November. It was like a summers day, infact it was warmer than most of the days we had in the summer. There were people on the beach, children playing in the sea and we even had an ice cream, unbelievable.

Douglas Harbour Lift Bridge.

This image shows the Lift Bridge which was completed in 2004 and allows access for pedestrians and vehicles to the quayside and harbour area. Under the bridge there is a flap gate which ensures water remains in the harbour at all times and keeps the marina afloat. The bridge itself is operational +/- 2 hours every high tide, when it can be lifted to allow boats in and out of the harbour.

Douglas Harbour Lift Bridge-© iomphotography.com

 

 

 

 

 

This image shows the Lift Bridge fully up and the yacht going through is called “The Pride Of Mann” and is for the sailing for disabled.

Click on both the images for a larger view.

Pride of Mann  - © iomphotography.com

Douglas Quay and Marina

This image shows Douglas Marina which was built in 2001 and was the first Marina for the Isle of Man, there is now another one in Peel. This Marina has really lifted the quayside as before it was built when the tide went out it left a silty and sad looking harbour but now there is constant water with beautiful yachts moared and on a sunny day the sun glistens of the sea. The Quayside has also been improved with new paving and seating to sit and watch the world and the yachts go by.

Click on the image for a larger view.
Douglas Quay and Marina-© iomphotography.com

Ballaugh Old Church.

This little church is situated at The Cronk, which is a couple of miles to the north of Ballaugh. In 1717 the church was extended and a gable, topped by a bellcote, added to the west end. Rear and side galleries were erected between 1757 and 1777. In 1832 a new church was built in Ballaugh Village, hence the name Ballaugh Old Church, and this caused this little church to become disused and to fall into disrepair but it was refurbished in the mid to late 1800’s, and again in 1955. Since then the church continues to hold regular services and has featured in film productions. As you can see the front pillars are leaning in and tradition says that they were deliberately built like this.

Click on image for a larger view.

Ballaugh Old Church - © iomphotography.com

Rock Climbing on Douglas Beach.

Took Ted to Douglas beach as he loves climbing on the rocks and exploring, he loves having a really good run around on the sand and chasing the waves.

Page 5 of 9« First...34567...Last »