Tag Archives: memorial

Jurby Church

Jurby Church, also known as St Patricks Church, was first built in about 1213 and was a very simple church. In 1829 the present church was built using material from the previous old building and its attractive interior today is due to the work of Deemster Farrant. Most of his predecessors are buried in the churchyard. During the second world war the church was adopted by R.A.F. Jurby which presented the east window overlooking the airfield. Inside the church is an R.A.F. ensign dedicated by the Island’s Bishop in 1979 in memory of all who served at the station and outside in the graveyard there are a number of war graves, for British, Commonwealth and Polish servicemen. They died mostly from aircraft training accidents. This church is such a pretty church and sits on the headland at the coast and has lovely views South to Peel and inland across the rural North of the Island, towards the hills.

Click on image below for a larger view.

Jurby-Church-© www.iomphotography.com

 

 

Ravens at Ballafayle (3 images)

These two scultured bronze ravens are sat on rocks on the side of a hill above Ballafayle. They are dedicated to well known politician and speaker for the House of Keys Sir Charles Kerruish  who sadly passed away in August 2003. Its such a beautiful, peaceful place with stunning views especially on a lovely, sunny day like today.

Click on images below for a larger view.

Ravens at Ballafayle-© www.iomphotography.com Ravens at Ballafayle-© www.iomphotography.com Ravens at Ballafayle-© www.iomphotography.com

 

Memorial for Joey Dunlop Isle of Man

This image is of the memorial for Joey Dunlop which is at the base of Snaefell (bungalow), the only mountain on the Island, which is part of the famous Isle of Man TT motorbike racing circuit. Joey raced in the TT for many years and won it an amazing 26 times. He sadly lost his life in July 2000 whilst racing in Estonia. He is still much a part of the TT with his two sons, William and Michael, now taking part.

Joey Dunlop memorial - © iomphotography.com

This is also at the same place where Joeys memorial is. Its painted on the wall of the building which used to be Murrays Motorcycle Museum which has now sadly closed down. Its by the artist Richie and he picks Gary Johnson from 2009 on bike number 18.

Murrys Motorcycle Museum - © iomphotography.com