Tag Archives: R.A.F

Jurby Church

Jurby Church, also known as St Patricks Church, was first built in about 1213 and was a very simple church. In 1829 the present church was built using material from the previous old building and its attractive interior today is due to the work of Deemster Farrant. Most of his predecessors are buried in the churchyard. During the second world war the church was adopted by R.A.F. Jurby which presented the east window overlooking the airfield. Inside the church is an R.A.F. ensign dedicated by the Island’s Bishop in 1979 in memory of all who served at the station and outside in the graveyard there are a number of war graves, for British, Commonwealth and Polish servicemen. They died mostly from aircraft training accidents. This church is such a pretty church and sits on the headland at the coast and has lovely views South to Peel and inland across the rural North of the Island, towards the hills.

Click on image below for a larger view.

Jurby-Church-© www.iomphotography.com